START BOOKING YOUR TRIP TO Chania
** Please note that we get a small commission if you book via our referral links. We use this to invest in new foodie content and to update the Greece Foodies website.
Crete Restaurants: Best restaurants in Chania
Welcome to the vibrant culinary scene of Chania, where gastronomic delights await you at every corner. As you explore this beautiful city on the picturesque island of Crete, prepare your taste buds for a journey through exceptional flavors and unforgettable dining experiences.
Spending some days on the wonderful island of Crete is surely a wise idea! The pleasant weather, the ideal surroundings, and the amazing people who are willing to provide you with anything you need to make your trip special will all be enjoyed by you. You will get to experience the fantastic restaurants that are all throughout the city. So let’s look at some of Chania’s top eateries that will tantalize your taste senses. Here are some of the best restaurants in Chania!
- Tipping in Greece: If you’re traveling to Chania, knowing that tipping is customary in Greece is helpful. For a casual meal at a taverna, a good rule of thumb is to leave a tip of about €2 to €5 or round up your bill to the nearest €0 or €5. For example, if your bill is €46, you might leave a total of €50. A 5 to 10% tip is standard for higher-end restaurants, while 15% is considered generous. At bars and cafés, if you order at the counter, rounding up to the nearest euro is appreciated. A tip of around 5 to 10% is appropriate for table service.
- Restaurant Reservations: To ensure a smooth dining experience at the restaurants listed below, it is advisable to make reservations in advance. Typically, reserving a table 3 to 5 days beforehand will suffice, but for significant occasions, it is recommended to book a table weeks, or even months, in advance to guarantee availability.
- Chania Food Guide: If you have more questions about Crete foods, wines or products, take a look at our complete food guide of Chania.
Check out our Crete Food Guide blog and learn everything about Crete
Chania boasts a diverse array of restaurants, each offering its own unique charm and delectable cuisine. From traditional tavernas serving authentic Cretan dishes to modern eateries showcasing innovative culinary creations, the restaurants in Chania promise to delight even the most discerning palates. Join us as we embark on a gastronomic adventure, discovering the top restaurants in Chania that are sure to leave a lasting impression.
One of the most famous restaurants in Chania. You may have passed just before it while strolling around the old harbour. The building that Pallas operates, dates back to around 1400 AC by Venetians to operate as a public bath, and after the Turks invasion, as a “Hamam” (aka steam bath). Tamam was founded in 1982 by a group of friends, and the name of it means “all good” in the Arabic language. The cuisine of Tamam is traditional Greek cuisine with some Eastern influences from Ottoman cuisine and the Eastern Mediterranean region.
Price Range: $$ – $$$
Again, one more wonderful restaurant in the heart of the old town. You will be amazed by the unique place where Boheme is located. The building that hosts Boheme was the cells of the monks of the Monastery of Saint Francis. The amazing plane tree dominating the courtyard and offers generously its shadow is about 400 years old and the sole witness of the history of the place and the people who lived there. Here you can try dishes with a special emphasis on unique flavours of Crete and biological products.
Price Range: $$ – $$$
Chania Food & Wine
- Chania Walking Food Tour: A walking tour through the historic attractions and culture of Old Town Chania, this is a must-do for any visitor to this beautiful region in Greece.
- Chania Wine Tasting: Come join us on our Chania wine tasting tour and enjoy a unique and unforgettable experience! Our resident astronomer will teach you all about the Greek constellations and how they were used in mythology.
- Chania Day Trip: Embark on an unforgettable Chania day trip and discover the hidden gems of this enchanting Greek city, from its vibrant markets to its breathtaking coastal landscapes.
Another building of great historical importance hosts one of the best restaurants in Chania. The building was built in 1830, and it was the home to Ali Pasha. It also served as customs and was part of the historic area called Piazza Magazine. It also owns the title of one of the 20 best buildings in Crete in 1986.
The cuisine uses fresh and traditional Cretan products to create dishes with a modern Mediterranean twist. Except for the Mediterranean dishes, Pallas dedicated the first floor to sushi dishes you can enjoy all year round. Last but not least, don’t forget to try to book a table in their roof garden, which serves also fresh seafood with the most amazing view of the sunset that you can find in town. Visit Pallas website for more.
Price Range: $$ – $$$
Thalassino Ageri is also a place that has a big history behind it, but It doesn’t have a building… Eating here means that you will have a simple table, amazing food, and an endless view of the sea that is only a few meters from your feet. The area of this restaurant is Tabakaria, where all the leather processing factories were located in the past. All the buildings around the area were built around 1830 to 1840 and were flourishing during the war.
The area’s decline was around the 70s, and today most tanneries are not operating. A walk around the area will be like a trip into the past with buildings that still maintains the original architecture. In this restaurant, you will enjoy Mediterranean cuisine with every kind of seafood that you can find in the Cretan sea. Don’t miss the chance to enjoy a meal on the beachfront with the splashing waves beneath.
Price Range: $$ – $$$
Visit Thalassino Ageri website!
In conclusion, the restaurants in Chania, Crete, offer a culinary experience that is nothing short of exceptional. From the tantalizing aromas wafting through the narrow streets to the warm hospitality that accompanies each meal, Chania’s dining scene is a testament to the rich and diverse flavors of Greek cuisine. Whether you’re seeking traditional Cretan delicacies or innovative gastronomic creations, the top restaurants in Chania have something to suit every taste and preference. Indulge in the freshest seafood, savor the vibrant flavors of locally sourced ingredients, and immerse yourself in the vibrant ambiance that defines Chania’s culinary landscape. With each bite, you’ll discover why Chania is a haven for food enthusiasts seeking unforgettable dining experiences. So, embark on a culinary adventure and let the restaurants of Chania captivate your senses, leaving you with cherished memories of delectable meals enjoyed in this enchanting Cretan city.
Check out the food map of Greece to decide which is your next foodie destination.
Go go, foodies!
Armed with a steaming cup of coffee and an infectious love for teamwork, I brew up brilliant product designs and digital marketing strategies that will leave you buzzing with excitement.