Table of Contents
Greek orzo with shrimps is a popular summertime dish in Greece, cooked in a skillet with fresh tomatoes, onions, red peppers, leeks, ouzo, and feta with fresh parsley on top.
This Greek meal is effortless to prepare, and the flavor… oh, the flavor! Even if you haven’t been to Greece, you can taste the freshness in every bite and are transported there. It is the ideal lunch to enjoy on the porch with loved ones or after a day at sea.
The Mediterranean diet’s health benefits must be mentioned here. Leeks, tomatoes, onions, and red peppers are all abundant in this dish. This gravy, Greek orzo with shrimps recipe gets an extra flavor boost from all these flavorful vegetables.
I strongly advise using shrimp with their heads on. The shrimp’s shell contains every taste, and the heads form the ideal broth.
Tomato juice is the same. Instead of tinned tomatoes, I prefer freshly squeezed ones. Adding some pepper, salt, olive oil, and ouzo to the tomato juice before serving will elevate the meal even further.
One of the pasta varieties that are highly well-liked in Greece is orzo. We prepare it with seafood, mushrooms, pork, and vegetables, and even make soup with orzo!
Greek orzo with shrimps
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Yield: 2
- 10 uncooked, unpeeled, fresh shrimps No.3-4 (8-10cm)
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo
- 650ml broth
- 50ml ouzo (or wihite wine)
- 250ml fresh tomato juice
- 40ml extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1/2 white or yellow onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 leek (the white part)
- 5 tomato cherries
- 20gr unsalted butter (optional)
- feta and parsley for topping (optional)
- salt & pepper
Instructions for Greek orzo with shrimps
- 1. Cut the heads of the shrimps and place them in a pot with boiling water.
- 2. Add the other half of your peeled onions, the greens of the leek, olive oil, salt pepper, and 1 tsp of ouzo (optional a garlic clove).
- 3. Let it boil at low heat for at least 30-40′.
- In a skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the shrimp and saute for 2-3′ on both sides.
- Take out the shrimps and let them aside
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in the same skillet. Add the onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the leek and red pepper. Saute for 5 minutes or until the veggies get soft.
- Add the orzo. Saute for 1-2′.
- Add the ouzo and let the liquids get absorbed.
- Add some of the broth and then the tomato juice. Keep stirring and adding the liquids as needed. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the orzo is soft.
- 2′ before it’s done, stir in the cooked shrimps and the tomato cherries.
- Finish by crumbling feta over the top, dust with some fresh parsley, and freshly ground black pepper.
A team of foodies, cooks, and travelers. Alios Tours was founded out of our passion for Greek food. We share the delicious side of Greece.