START BOOKING YOUR TRIP TO Rhodes
** Please note that we get a small commission if you book via our referral links. We use this to invest in new foodie content and to update the Greece Foodies website.
If you’re looking for some great places to eat, here are five restaurants in Rhodes, Greece that come highly recommended!
Some argue that seeing a culture is the only way to properly understand it. But I think you should try it. Now is your opportunity to eat your way through one of the world’s most exquisite cultures: Greece, thanks to these five favorite Greek restaurants in Rhodes town.
The Italian occupation of Rhodes during the second world war left a mark on the island’s cuisine. Along with typical meze topped with tzatziki, there’s a wonderful selection of pasta dishes with meat and fried onions. Most of the recommended eateries are in Old Rhodes town, but there are hidden treasures in Faliraki and Apóllona. Continue reading to learn about the most significant places to dine on this Greek island.
- Eating in Rhodes: When it comes to eating on Rhodes Island, visitors can expect to enjoy meals that are similar to those found throughout Greece. Restaurants in Rhodes typically open for lunch around 1:00 p.m. and serve dinner from around 7:00 p.m. onwards. However, many restaurants in the more touristy areas may serve food earlier or later to accommodate travelers’ schedules. In Rhodes, traditional tavernas serve local dishes made with fresh ingredients from the land and sea. If you’re looking for a quick bite, there are also plenty of street food options available throughout the day.
- Tipping in Greece: If you’re traveling to Rhodes, knowing that tipping is customary in Greece is helpful. For a casual meal at a taverna, a good rule of thumb is to leave a tip of about €2 to €5 or round up your bill to the nearest €0 or €5. For example, if your bill is €46, you might leave a total of €50. A 5 to 10% tip is standard for higher-end restaurants, while 15% is considered generous. At bars and cafés, if you order at the counter, rounding up to the nearest euro is appreciated. A tip of around 5 to 10% is appropriate for table service.
- Restaurant Reservations: To ensure a smooth dining experience at the restaurants listed below, it is advisable to make reservations in advance. Typically, reserving a table 3 to 5 days beforehand will suffice, but for significant occasions, booking table weeks, or even months, in advance is recommended to guarantee availability.
- Rhodes Food Guide: Rhodes, the largest of the Dodecanese islands, offers a diverse culinary experience with a fusion of traditional Greek and Mediterranean flavors. The island boasts many seaside taverns and restaurants serving fresh seafood, such as octopus, squid, and fish. The local cuisine also features classic Greek dishes such as moussaka, souvlaki, and Greek salad. One must try the traditional lamb dishes simmered in a wood-fired oven or the delicious mezedes accompanied by a glass of ouzo. The island is also famous for its sweets, including baklava and kataifi. Whether you’re looking for a fancy restaurant in Rhodes or a simple street-side taverna, Rhodes has something for everyone’s taste buds.
Why should you try the food in Rhodes?
Traditional Greek cuisine is famous for its variety of dishes, ranging from succulent grilled meat dishes and fresh fish to delectable salads and sugary desserts and Rhodes is no exception. Local ingredients and tightly guarded family traditions keep traditional Rhodes food alive here.
The Rhodian diet is quite diverse. Fresh fruit, vegetables, wild greens, olives, grains, and legumes abound. The nearby Aegean Sea provides plenty of wonderful fish and shellfish, while goats and sheep are renowned for their meat and dairy products, including native myzithra cheese. Refreshing Greek yogurt, fragrant honey flavored with sage or thyme, and Embonas wine round out the flavors that will enhance your stay.
>> ✈️ Find flights to Rhodes
The top five restaurants in Rhodes!
1. Kostas taverna
Another good option is Kostas Taverna, which is situated in an alley near the market in the old city. The ideal spot to dine in is Rhode’s superb food meze, including seafood dishes like squid, cuttlefish, and octopus, and reasonable rates are much easier than the regular tourist eateries. The proprietors are a slow couple, but the environment is incredibly warm and pleasant, perfect for a leisurely evening. At the entryway, you will see cards written by guests on their experiences. Visit Kostas Taverna facebook page.
2. Marco Polo Cafe | Restaurant in Rhodes
This quaint dinner-only Marco Polo restaurant in the old town is hidden within the boutique hotel Marco Polo Mansion. However, its beautiful lemon-scented courtyard is often crowded. The structure itself comes from the 15th century, and the cuisine is current and well-prepared, with dishes like pork loin with figs and octopus with beetroot cream. View Marco Polo on TripAdvisor.
3. Panorama Rhodes Restaurant
This high-end Greek and Mediterranean restaurant at the five-star Esperos Village Blue and Spa Resort is located in a tranquil setting above the tourist town of Faliraki. Non-guests are welcome to schedule a soothing spa day, followed by a mojito at the pool bar and a great nutritious supper with sea views. There’s a live interactive kitchen, a culinary corner, a superfood station, and lots of traditional recipes cooked with fresh local ingredients. Panorama Restaurant on TripAdvisor.
Rent a car and visit the restaurants in Rhodes
4. Mimakos Taverna
While Mimakos Taverna is a bit out of the way and difficult to reach (there’s a useful map on the website below), the vista alone is worth the effort. This wonderful open-air restaurant in Rhodes is set atop a mountain not far from Rhodes city, affording spectacular views of the whole island and the sea. Greek food at its best!
The only thing that comes close is the cuisine, which is grilled and prepared Greek-style and expertly seasoned to bring out the flavors of the natural ingredients, creating a wonderful experience for all of your senses.
Rhodes Food Tours
- Rhodes Fishing Trip: The Rhodes Fishing Trip is a traditional fishing experience where participants can learn to fish with local fishermen and enjoy the catch of the day cooked on the beach.
- Rhodes Food Tour: The Rhodes Wine Tour takes visitors on a half-day trip to explore the island’s rich wine history, including a visit to two local wineries and a tasting of some of Rhodes’ best wines.
- Rhodes Wine Tour: The Rhodes Wine Tour takes visitors on a half-day trip to explore the island’s rich wine history, including a visit to two local wineries and a tasting of some of Rhodes’ best wines.
5. Ouzeri Tapedaladika
One of the best Rhodes restaurants is in Menekleous Square, a charming ancient town with a relaxed atmosphere, excellent service, and local cuisine. You can discover a comprehensive variety of meze to go with your ouzo or glass of wine. Very casual and pleasant environment, favored mainly by locals. Select from a variety of meze platters like grilled octopus, melanzanosalata, sea urchins, grilled haloumi or feta cheese, Symi shrimp, and little fish from Leros. View on TripaAdvisor!
If you visit any of the above restaurants in Rhodes, leave us a comment on your experience and impressions!
>> ⛴️ Find ferries to Rhodes